<$BlogRSDURL$>
Reading

Hannu Salama: Kosti Herhiläisen perunkirjoitus
Flickr photographs
www.flickr.com
More of my Flickr photos
∙ Current position: Academy of Finland Postdoctoral Researcher, Social and Cultural Anthropology, University of Helsinki
∙ Ph.D. dissertation Neighborhood Shopkeepers in Contemporary South Korea: Household, Work, and Locality available online (E-Thesis publications a the University of Helsinki). For printed copies, please contact me by e-mail.
Contact ∙ Personal
∙ cellular ∙ mail ∙ my del.icio.us bookmarks
∙ my photographs at Flickr
∙ Anthropology at U. of Helsinki
∙ Finnish Anthropological Society
Powered by Blogger

Anthropology, Korean studies and that

∙ Savage Minds
∙ Keywords
∙ Golublog
∙ photoethnography
∙ antropologi.info
∙ Solongseeyoutomorrow
∙ Constructing Amusement
∙ Otherwise
∙ Frog in a Well

Often visited

∙ The Marmot's Hole ∙ Gusts Of Popular Feeling ∙ Sanchon Hunjang ∙ Mark Russell ∙ Language hat ∙ Muninn ∙ gyuhang.net ∙ Sedis ∙ Kemppinen ∙ Jokisipilä ∙ Panun palsta
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


Google this blog
∙ Download Hangul Viewer 2002
∙ Download Hangul Office Viewer 2007

Friday, February 13, 2004

My obligatory DPRK entry

I never intended to make entries about DPRK or the South-North situation, but there is something I needed to get off my chest, so here it comes.


The first Korean I ever knowingly met (knowing that the person is Korean) was North Korean. I was with my friend in Berlin in the last year of German partition, and we also went to East Berlin, as we didn't need a visa for such a short visit. There we were in the Brandenburger place looking at the wall from the eastern side. Some others were there, too: a German-Russian man, who constantly tapped my shoulder with his forefinger, and a couple who we understood was from North Korea. I remember him admiring my camera; "Cosina, ooh" became the joke between me and my friend every time I took up my camera.


Ambassador Kim Pyong-il in Poland
The highest-ranking Korean (this is of course subject to debate) I've ever met is North Korean. Kim Pyong-il, Kim Jong-il's half brother (born to Kim Il-sung's second wife) served as the ambassador to Finland in the 1990s before DPRK closed the embassy in Helsinki. (Kim Pyong-il was sent to serve as the ambassador to Poland, where he still is.) There was all that talk that Kim Pyong-il was sent far away from DPRK so that he wouldn't become a threat to his older half-brother's power, as he was said to be more intelligent and capable than KJI.

So the piece of intelligence concerning Kim Il-sung's son that I hereby declassify is his visit to a Helsinki bookstore to buy a Russian textbook for his son. At the time I used to do some part-time work in that store in the language and textbook section, and I also had started studying Korean, so I knew who the guy was when he strolled in with his two children and embassy entourage. Too bad I couldn't help him as we didn't have an English-language textbook for Russian in stock.

Kim Pyong-il resembles so much his father that it's almost scary. No wonder his older half-brother doesn't want to have him around, if that talk is true.

(There weren't that many places where both Koreas had embassies before ROK-Soviet relations: Scandinavian countries, Switzerland I think, where else? An interesting history could be written of the ideological competition in those places - if it hasn't been done already.)

And now back to topics that are closer to my interests concerning Korea

Categories at del.icio.us/hunjang:

Comments to note "My obligatory DPRK entry" (Comments to posts older than 14 days are moderated)


Write a Comment